Shelley and I love Butter Chicken; it's a great Indian dish. Shelley found a fantastic vegan version of this Indian dish made with chickpeas instead of chicken.....hey....protein is protein, right?
Instant Pot Butter Chickpeas (Vegan Butter Chicken)
2 cups dried chickpeas; soaked overnight
2 tbsps oil of choice
1 onion, diced
3 tsps minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1-1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne, adjust to taste
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1 green bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
1/2 cup (unsweetened) cream from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk
pinch of dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
1. Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse and set aside.**
2. Press the sauté button. Add the oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add the onion and stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and spices - stir, then add the chickpeas, tomato sauce and water.
4. Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 35 minutes at high pressure.
5. Naturally release pressure.
6. Add the bell pepper, cream and fenugreek leaves to the pot and mix well.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
**Did you forget to soak the chickpeas overnight? You can easily do a quick soak by covering the dried chickpeas with an ice of water and pressure cooking them for 10 minutes with a natural release. Then dump out the water, rinse the chickpeas well and follow the directions for butter chickpeas from there.
Making this was really fun. I was amazed at how 2 cups of dried chickpeas swell up after the 'soaking' and the volume created. Easily will feed four, maybe six people with rice is you make some. Delicious.
I only put 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper, and used half and half instead of coconut milk (although coconut milk would add terrific flavour to this dish).